Title of current appointment
Lecturer, Dyson School of Design Engineering, Imperial College London (Sept 2015 – present).
Senior Research Fellow, WMG, University of Warwick (June 2015 – Sept 2015).
Research Fellow, WMG, University of Warwick (April 2013 – May 2015).
Research Assistant, WMG, University of Warwick (May 2012- March 2013).
Projects worked on during this time:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council funded: Participation in Healthcare Environment Engineering (£1.3 million).
- Innovate UK funded: Smart Heating Project (£495,000).
- Arts and Humanities Research Council funded: Creating Sustainable Innovation through Design for Behaviour Change (£48,755).
- University of Warwick Global Research Priorities funded: PVTree: Re-thinking solar power in 3D (£10,000).
Engineering: Thesis title “Understanding and improving the perception of a hospital ward soundscape”. WMG, University of Warwick, UK (2009-2013)
Ergonomics (Human Factors) BSc First Class Honours. Loughborough University, UK (2008)
- Inaugural University of Warwick Faculty of Science Doctoral Thesis prize WMG: “Understanding and improving the perception of a hospital ward soundscape” (2014).
- Loughborough University Department of Human Sciences Ergonomics Prize for Academic Excellence (2007).
Current Teaching, Dyson School of Design Engineering, Imperial College London
Selected lectures on Design 1.
Co-ordinator and Contributor to Innovation Design Engineering Wednesday Afternoon Lecture series (joint with the Royal College of Art).
Past Teaching at WMG, University of Warwick
Undergraduate Engineering Classes
Design for Safety and Comfort module including:
- Introduction to Ergonomics
- Seat Comfort
- Human Error in Systems
- Smart Driving seminar lab
Taught Masters Classes
- Service Systems Technology – ‘Interaction Design’
Taught Doctoral Classes
- Research Methodologies – Reviewing the Literature
- Research Ethics
Professional Practice Classes
- Product Perception: Subjective Attributes. Jaguar Land Rover Graduate Scheme Seminar Series.
- Perceived Quality Vehicle Evaluation. Jaguar Land Rover Graduate Scheme Seminar Series
- Experience Led Innovation Small to Medium size Enterprise workshop: Design and Emotion.
- Jaguar Land Rover Hybrid Vehicle Technologies Module, Hybrid Electric Vehicle Sound Quality.
- Innovation and Business Leadership Module. The office environment is dead (?)
I supervise a variety of research projects from Undergraduate to PhD level with experience of professional supervision also.
- Developing appropriate methods for evaluating electric vehicles’ exterior sounds. (role of supervision started January 2014 – completion October 2015)
- Design knowledge in mental health design. (Feb 2015- Sept 2015)
- Co-supervision of Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate working with First Utility (2014). Project title: Home Heating Control Pilot.
- Main supervisor for MSc Engineering and Business Management students (2014-2015).
- Supervisor of University of Warwick URSS internship student (2013/2014)
- Main supervisor of MEng Undergraduate students (2013-2014) with three achieving First Class honours. Main supervisor for one MEng Undergraduate student 2014-2015.
To date I have contributed to research bids worth a total of £775,200 of which £335,000 has been successfully funded on the following projects;
- Innovate UK: CloSer (Customer Loyalty and Dynamic Seat Reservation System) Sept 2015-March 2017, £265K (named researcher, WMG, University of Warwick)
- Research Consultancy Funding: Exploring relationships between customer satisfaction and emotional response using free text, June 2015 – Sept 2015, £11.2K (Co-Investigator, WMG, University of Warwick,)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council: Creating Sustainable Innovation through Design for Behaviour Change (research grant AH/L013525/1), March 2014 – October 2014, £48K (named researcher, WMG, University of Warwick)
- University of Warwick Global Research Priorities ‘Energy’ Scheme: PVTree: Reimagining a solar future, Sept 2014 – Dec 2014, £11K (named researcher, WMG, University of Warwick)
I am also named advisor to the Infection Prevention Society funded post-doctoral research project “Exploring the Err Factor: To what extent can behavioural theory (inherent/elective) contribute to improved processes of hand hygiene measurement and education”. I have reviewed grant applications on behalf of Research Councils UK (RCUK) and the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research in Chile (CONICYT) September 2014.
- Full member and close reader for the University of Warwick Biomedical and Scientific (BSREC) Research Ethics Committee (2010-present).
- Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors PR and Communication Committee (April 2013-January 2015 when the committee ended).
I contribute to a variety of events:
- ‘This is tomorrow?’ Co-Organised and ran a daylong event in association with ChinaPlate Theatre Company for a selection of renowned artists to experience and discuss research activities at WMG, University of Warwick.
- Climate-Knowledge and Innovation Community ‘The Journey’ University of Warwick summer school.
- University of Warwick School of Engineering: Undergraduate Open day tours of WMG, and Sound Room facilities. This included preparation of material and demonstrations.
- 2015 Cheltenham Science Festival. Selected to run a workshop with Key Stage 2/3 children on solar power and public perception of urban structures.
- 2015 Royal Institutions MasterClass. Experiential Engineering. Selected to run a workshop with Key Stage 3 children on design for emotion.
- 2011 Warwick on Wheels, The Gadget Show Live Birmingham NEC. Soundscape demonstration.
- Interviewed by BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio about involving users in the development of the new heating control system. Innovate UK (Technology Strategy Board) funded Smart Heating Project
- Invited attendance at The New Optimist – Video interview “what am I optimistic about” (June 2014).
- Invited attendance at The New Optimist – Young Scientist Event (February 2014).
- Postgraduates Who Teach. University of Warwick Learning and Development Centre (2013).
- University of Warwick Learning and Development Centre: Personal 1-2-1 session on academic writing (2013).
- Warwick Medical School: Biomedical and Scientific Research Ethics Committee Close reader training (2011).
- Warwick Medical School: Handling Human Tissues (2011).